PresentationLittle is known about the origins of Moresco: it certainly was the territory of Roman settlements; in the Lombard period, fortified monastic and feudal centers arose here, one of which later expanded.
Even the name has an uncertain genesis: perhaps it derives from the proper name Morico or from a certain Mori family, or from “morro” or “morracine” (stony place). Finally, from the term mori, to indicate a Berber settlement or, vice versa, a fortress to repel the assaults of the Saracens.
The first news of the castle dates back to 1083 and documents dating back to the 12th century testify to the regency of Tebaldo, count of Moresco.
In the thirteenth century, after ups and downs, the castle definitively passed under the dominion of Fermo, and remained there until the unification of Italy.
Free from feudal ties, Moresco becomes a municipality and remains so, except from 1868 to 1910 in which it becomes a hamlet of Monterubbiano.
The characteristic Ghibelline heptagonal tower (12th century), 25 meters high, dominates the Aso valley from above. Born as a watchtower and defense, it has undergone profound changes over time. Inside there is now a staircase to reach the top, from which to enjoy the wonderful landscape of hills, valleys and the villages of Fermo.
The Clock Tower (14th century) overlooks the gateway to the town.
In the sixteenth century, at its peak, Moresco was enriched with churches, especially suburban ones, and works of art. To see: the parish church of San Lorenzo with 17th and 18th century paintings, the church of the Madonna dell’Olmo, with a large fresco by Vincenzo Pagani, the former church of Santa Sofia and the church of the Madonna della Salute.
the old town with an ellipsoidal structure, with its narrow streets, the triangular square with the portico, the frescoes. In the Town Hall there is a large altarpiece, also a work by Pagani.