PresentationMonterubbiano, a noble land of ancient origins, stands on the top of a singular hill, 463 meters above sea level.
The origin is lost among the legends of the first inhabitants of the Piceno, documented by the scattered tombs and the small necropolises found, with objects now collected in the Archaeological Civic Museum at the Polo Culturale San Francesco, now also home to the library, auditorium, environmental education center and botanical garden.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, Monterubbiano was destroyed by the Goths and slowly rose again around the year 1000, thanks to the Benedictines of Montecassiano and then to the Monks of Farfa. In the 15th cent. it fell under the dominion of Francesco Sforza, who enlarged, modified and fortified the walls of 1200, before passing to the Papal State.
On the town walls both the oldest and the new ones, you can admire the majestic access doors, which seem to enclose, as in a precious casket, the churches of the High and Late Middle Ages: the Collegiata, with works by Vincenzo Pagani, a painter from Monterubbiano; the church of Sant’Agostino, frescoed by the artist Antonio Lanave; the Renaissance monuments, including Palazzo Calzecchi Onesti; the precious 19th-cent. monuments such as the Pagani Theater, the “G. Leopardi ”Public Garden and the Monumental Cemetery.
In every age, illustrious men grew up in Monterubbiano, thanks to whom his name was repeatedly honored throughout Italy and the world: the companions of San Francesco Matteo, Lucido and Giacomo, Vincenzo Pagani, famous painter, Benedetto Mircoli, doctor and rector of the University of Camerino, Luca Galli, architect; Temistocle Clazecchi Onesti, scientist, Rosa Calzecchi Onesti, great translator of Homer and Virgil, who gave life to the new Homeric translation canons.
Important for Monterubbiano is the historical re-enactment of “Sciò la Pica”, which evokes the Piceno coming to the Marche region, and is traditionally placed on Pentecost Sunday.