PresentationInhabited since ancient times by Picenes and Romans, Lapedona developed in the Lombard period thanks to the Benedictines, especially from the Abbey of Farfa, and the authority of the bishop of Fermo gradually increased. Parishes, courtyards, feudal castles, arise throughout the Marca Fermana, including the castles of St. Martino and Saltareccio, mentioned in the Liber Jurium Episcopatus, or “Code 1030”, the oldest code in the Fermo Archive.
There is no certified date of foundation of the town; the first mention in a written document dates back to 1148 and mentions the castle of Lapedona with the church of St. Quirico (outside the walls); the church of St. Giacomo (now St. Giacomo and Quirico) was built only two centuries later.
At the beginning of the 13th cent. Lapedona passed from the episcopal dependency to the city of Fermo and followed its ups and downs.
Churches in the old town:
– church of St. Giacomo e Quirico: 14th cent., almost completely rebuilt a century ago, with paintings attributed to Pietro Alemanno (15th cent.) and a wooden statuette of the patron saint;
– church of St. Nicolò: 17th-18th cent., with altarpieces attributed to G. Ghezzi and F. Ricci, organ of the Callidian school, now deconsecrated and used for classical music concerts;
– church of St. Lorenzo: late 18th cent., with bell tower (1732), uninhabitable crypt, restored organ by Gaetano Callido (1784), wooden crucifix probably of Byzantine origin, baroque altars.
Churches outside the walls:
– church of St. Quirico: 12th-14th cent., Romanesque, in Borgo St. Quirico;
– church of St. Pietro: Romanesque, remodeled in the 19th cent., at the entrance to the Cemetery;
– church of Madonna Manù: 11th cent., on the SP35 towards the sea;
– church of Santa Maria degli Angeli or Ad Nivem, 15th cent., in Borgo Castellano.
Inside the walls: elementary school, early 20th cent.; town hall, late 16th cent.; fountain in piazza Leopardi (1900).